Top Scorer of the Week – Hatrick Hero Fainga’a 65 points
If there’s one thing that’s been constant this year (apart from the challenge of player rotation and pre world cup rests) it’s been the inconsistency of results. Yet again there were some sure things that backfired with the gameweek throwing up two draws. What did we learn:
- Sevu Reece is human. Let’s face it, it was going to happen at some point, and with the sharks surprisingly keeping the crusaders shackled most of the game there were few points to be had for the crusaders backs with Reece grabbing a poultry 15.
- More interesting is the backs vs forwards captain debate. Backs continue to provide the bigger upside, but those big lads up front provide reliable points – Barrett / Ardie.
- However, the bigger change this season is the form of the 9s. Based on last years performance, we called SH a non-premium position. Sure TJ and Genia would get decent points, but not enough to justify their $300k+ price. Well, they’re knocking it out of the park, but more interestingly you’ve got Weber, McDermott, Jantjies, who have all been sensational this year. Not far behind the top two, and half the price.
- Tupou gave us a reminder why we all thought he was going to be prop MVP pre-season, and outscored Lizo. Is this going to be the turn of the tide for Tupou – we’ve already called the soft run of games, and given Lizo had a tough one against the Crusaders coming up, we could see a late run from Tupou to take Lizo’s crown as indispensable in the run to the end of the season.
- Fainga’a will continue to be as successful as the Brumbies rolling maul is. Let’s face it, he doesn’t do a huge amount apart from that, but he doesn’t need to. Will he continue his form and take over Marx’s crown as THE hooker to have?