Right, the big one, and the most difficult team to pick given there’s little recent form to go on. Below are our weekly picks. Couple of points to note:
- This is largely based on Week 2 match-ups, where 2 teams – Hurricanes, Lions, Brumbies, are double digit points favourites. This isn’t a suggestion for a team to pick for the season, you’ll need a slightly more balanced side. (although the Wk3 fixtures for all 3 of those teams are pretty decent)
- We wouldn’t ever pick this team because the bench sucks and you need some flexibility across the season. Sorry folks you’ll likely have to give up on DMck or Folau to put some quality on the bench.
However, you could, pick this team if you wanted to, that’s the idea, and why we’ve shown the bench:
Anyway, pretty self explanatory:
- Alaalatoa: great match-up, top prop last year
- Marx: great match-up, 2nd best hooker last year, I think he’ll be top hooker this
- Smith: solid prop at rebels, upside for the ‘canes.
- Lousi: finished last year strong, good match-up, good value for money.
- Hanigan: plays 6, but listed at lock. Averaged 27pts a game last year.
- Smith: this week is the kind of game Kwagga will love, huge upside potential.
- Ardie: match-up, awsome player, nuff said.
- Naisarani: will he be this years Mafi ? Either way the big man should roll over the Sunwolves.
- TJ: Top scrummy, good match-up.
- Mo’Unga: I like Foley equally as much as Richie, but Richie’s a little cheaper.
- Julian Savea: If he’s anywhere close to last year, great value. Good match-up.
- Laumape: Guys awesome, plus match-up.
- Kuridrani: Could seriously roll this week.
- Folau: it’s Folau.
- DMck: I actually don’t like him at 10, or the team the Chiefs have put out, but he’s just SO good.
Just a note – there are a LOAD of great centre options here. No doubt whoever we’ve picked, we’ll get it wrong. This is in part due to people being listed in wrong positions, but a short list of good centre options this week; Mapoe, Ngatai (playing FB), Leali’ifano, Aso, Proctor (playing FB), Hodge (if kicking), Peni. Those are match-up base. Clearly you’ve got the big boys as well.
CAPTAIN: This is tough one in week 1. If you’re playing it safe, Marx. Dependent on your risk profile you can roll the dice on any of the back row, or any of the centres and outside backs. Kuridrani with 2 tries ?