So here’s our weekly reflection on both our transfer advice for the week and suggested line-up. Keep in mind we put this together without all the team news out, so there’s always some last minute surprises.
Don’t Touch (SELL)
1. Malakai Fekitoa – 45pts – Fekitoa back to somewhere near his best, although in large due to a lucky bounce for his try. Even without the try, 35pts would have been solid. MISS.
2. Akira Ioane – 17pts – Whilst he looked a LOT better coming on as an impact player against some tired Highlanders, and would have had a try if not for Tuipolotu dropping it. You just can’t rely on him at such a crucial position and he lost more value. HIT.
3. Kepu – 24pts – top 6 prop this week. He couldn’t have got much worse, and both your writers were forced to start him more through lack of options that choice. Lucky. MISS.
1. Fumiaki Tanaka – DNP – halfway through the week Fox fixed Tanaka’s pricing. If you’d subbed him out you would have banked nearly $250k and as he didn’t play it would have been a nice little earner. HIT.
2. Folau– 76 pts – BIG FAT MISS. Tahs got owned by the Sharks, but Izzy did what he does best, got on the end of 2 tries. I just can’t get Izzy right this year.
3. Higginbotham – 26pts – below average for backrow and he lost nearly $40k. HIT.
1. Milner-Skudder – 14pts – this is a tough one as NMS got injured after 55mins, but he was largely held in check by the chiefs. MISS.
2. Kerevi – 60pts – top scoring centre for the week. HIT.
3. Ruan Ackerman – DNP – dropped as part of Ackerman’s ploy to throw the game in Argentina.Probably would have been solid. 50/50.
1. Hurricanes – Aso 3pts / Laumape 21pts/ Savea 36pts – my advice was that these guys would find it tough and to play them only if you didn’t have a better match-up, as regardless they would rise in price, and to cash in this week. There were much better options than Aso and Laumape, whilst Savea saved his week in the last few minutes. I actually think their options have improved with all the Highlanders’ injuries, so you might want to considering holding them through the bye if possible. Otherwise take them to the bank. HIT.
2. SP Marais – 49pts – banker against the Kings. HIT.
3. Reiko Ioane – 13pts – I thought it would be tough, but not 13pts tough. Reiko barely touched the ball. I should have gone with my gut, which was to slap him on the SELL list. MISS.
1. Senatla – DNP – for some reason, unknown to everyone, he didn’t even make the bench. Would have likely killed the Kings. 50/50.
Digby Ioane – 40pts – solid start by the former fantasy stud. HIT.
3. Fred Zelinga – 66pts – best performing FH of the week. HIT.
1. Stormers – Pieter-Steph Du Toit – 46pts – 2nd highest scoring lock this week, but given his $100k premium I don’t think he justified it.Eben was only 5 pts behind and if you went out on a limb to bring in Pieter-Steph just before I bye I don’t think you quite got the reward you were looking for. 50/50.
2. Cheetahs – Rayno Benjamin – 14pts – in the points fest that was the Cheetahs vs Sunwolves Benjamin only managed 14 pts in large due to half a dozen missed tackles and a few errors. MISS.
3. Beauden – 31pts – 8th top scoring fly half. Not bad, but plenty of other options and he dropped a bit more in value. I need to stop backing him. (Full disclosure I kept Barrett but brought in and captained Zelinga for me team this week). MISS.
BONUS: Clinton Swart – 31pts – great value. Solid bye week replacement. HIT.
Bossman +1 Not bad considering Nehe got injured, but a couple of non-players in the end.
Feastjuice +1 Going some well and bombed out on the buy, with the exception of my bonus pick
Week 3 Team Lineup: 534 pts. Despite NMS’s injury and 2 DNP starters who had to be subbed in a very respectable performance of 534 pts without taking into account captain choice. Well above average in a low scoring week with all the injuries we saw. Granted you wouldn’t want 4 Stormers in your side going into a bye week, but hopefully it gave you plenty of food for thought.