This is week 3 of our Fox Fantasy Super Rugby advice on who to ditch, who to snap up, and who to keep an eye on. As with every week we’re not going to point out the obvious in terms of dropping newly injured players (Ox Nche), suspended players (Luatua), or non touring players (Lions), but we try to tweet updates for any key injuries so keep an eye on our twitter during the week.
Don’t Touch (SELL)
1. Malakai Fekitoa – ($315k) This guy used to be a permanent fixture last year but just is not the same anymore, his handling has got worse and just doesn’t break tackles like he used to. I do hope I am wrong about him but with like of Reiko, Kerevi, Laumape, Rohan knocking about I say SELL.
2. Akira Ioane -($250k) I was so exciting about this guy after seeing him on the 7s circuit, at the start of this season. He’s looked unfit and not to mention passes the ball his brother when he could have scored… He doesn’t even play for more than 60 minutes either, at his age he should be 80 minutes.
3. Kepu -($112) As one of our follower rightly pointed out -15 that’s scandalous. Props dont make big points but averaging -7.5 is a hindrance.
1. Fumiaki Tanaka $521k – I know this only applies to 0.3% of Fantasy Managers, but due to screwy Fox Pricing sell this guy now and bank $400k before his price drops.
2. Folau $471k – it doesn’t please me to write this, but I still think you sell Folau. He rescued his week last week in injury time against the Lions with an outrageous side step. I know that’s what he does, but the Tahs aren’t good, and they won’t find it easy against the Sharks who have been pleasantly surprising so far, and will want to perform at their first home game this season. Better value to be had in other premium OBKs, or match-ups this week. He needs a big performance to stop dropping in price as well.
2. The rest is a struggle this week, as a load of players are playing well above thier averages and will continue to rise in price regardless. I think you still sell Haylett-Petty as we mentioned last week. Force are terrible away from home. Crotty’s relatively overpriced at $408k, and you can get better value at centre. You could cash in on any good scoring Bulls – Piet Van Zyl if you had any part of him – given their on a bye, but they do open back up against the sunwolves. But if I have to pick someone else it’ll be from the Reds as they’ve got a tough one against then Crusaders and then Lions in Jo’Berg. I think Quade goes missing against the ‘saders, but ditch Higginbotham $402k. He’ll also find it hard work, but his poor performance last week will impact his price a lot more than Quades, and there’s much better options in the $400k backrow bracket if you look up at the 20 or so players above him in scoring.
1. Milner-Skudder $424k – who cares how much he costs, did you watch the game last week???? This guy looks better than ever.
2. Kerevi $639k – I know he only scored 22 points last week but he only needs have a chance and the Reds are at home this week. Say it with me ‘I believe in Harvie Dent, I mean Samu Kerevi!’
3. Ruan Ackerman $246k – cheap, going up in value and averaging 33 points in the first 2 games
1. Hurricanes – Aso $455k / Laumape $522k / Savea $452k – no duh, right, keeping hold of the 3 highest scoring players in the games so far, but hear me out. I think the canes get a real test this week. There’s points to be had, but the chiefs are good defensively and will want to prove a point. I think you could even bench some of these guys for players with more favourable match-ups – think Cheetahs / Stormers – it’s ballsy, but with the forecast in Hamilton for a LOT of rain, Savea might not even be able to catch the ball, let alone beat defenders. I also expect the chiefs to actually tackle Laumape, something the Rebels and Sunwolves seemed scared of. My pick from the Hurricanes would be Milner-Skudder, as from FB, with his cutting, he can still get points in a wet game. Typically the Fox player pricing lags a little, so I think whilst these guys have an off week this week, their price still increases and you look to cash them out as the go into what will be another defensive battle with the highlanders game and then their bye week the week after. So hold, but be prepared for a dip in performance.
2. SP Marais $384k – best performing OBK last week, and in our suggested week 2 line-up, and called out in this column. Given the Stormers are on a bye after they maul the King’s I don’t bring him in, but ride him another week as he should score big.
3. Reiko Ioane $483k – I very nearly put this guy as a sell. I think the Highlanders shackle the Blues in much the same way the Chiefs did for 60mins, and Fekitoa does what he does best, shut people down. I’d hope he does something and gets 30-40 (because I have him in my team), but you could look towards the Cheetahs centres who have 2 good match-ups coming, and getting rid of Reiko frees up some cash. The reason I didn’t put him in sell is none of the big names at centre – Kerevi / RJvR / Aso / Laumape – have easy match-ups or are particularly cheap, so I think he’s on a par with the early season premium centres.
1. Senatla $112k – potentially huge reward in terms of price and points, but who do you drop, it takes balls to start 112K over 3 top performing OBKS
2. Digby Ioane $112k – This guy used to be fantasy gold and if he starts this week and you don’t have faith in the Stormers and need to save cash. Or even if you are being more tactical as The Stormers have a bye the following week, he’s worth a punt.
3. Fred Zelinga $314K – He’s been consistant and they are playing the Sunwolves at home, need I say more…
1. Stormers – but my pick is Pieter-Steph Du Toit $472k – he’s almost sensibly priced now. Given the Stormers are playing the Kings he’s my pick of the forwards, and this is a good opportunity to get him in (as long as you have lock cover across the bye) as they play the sunwolves the other side. If you can’t afford him then Eben’s obviously a great pick at lock. I also like Brodie against the Canes in a wet one.
2. Cheetahs – You can make a case for Rhule & Blommentjies, who are a little more expensive, but assuming Rayno Benjamin $145k starts, he’s a great value pick this week with a tonne of upside on the wing vs a terrible Sunwolves team. Only risk is they score before it gets to him.
3. Beauden $240k – I’m sticking with him. I think the Chiefs game is close, and Barrett plays big with the boot, and in attack, making the difference with a little magic. 30-40 pts for $240k is good value.
BONUS: This week you get a special. Clinton Swart $112k – played 2 games, averaging about 30pts, great try last week, but for some reason down as DNP for both games and on 0 pts. Fox should work this out – I’ve tweeted them – and you will not only have a good match-up play, but his price should shoot up.