This is our weekly post of transfer ideas to help guide you in your line-up selection as team sheets are released. We’re not going to state the obvious; if players are stuck on the bench (tui) or long term injured (ben smith, mo’unga, de allende), then you want to flip them out. There we some serious eggs laid by fantasy studs in week 1, as well as some outstanding performances from lesser known stars. Here’s the low down on whether to ship them out, ship them in, or hold fire:
Don’t Touch (SELL)
1. Izzy, I can’t believe I’m typing this but until Foley comes back I think you can get better value at OBK elsewhere.
2. Dane Coles only if he doesn’t start again drop him, as he’ll be losing you money and you can spend the cash elsewhere, not to mention pick him up for cheap later.
3. Haylett-Petty lost a lot of value in week 1 and the Force just don’t look like doing much this season, he’ll drain you funds.
1. Ricciteli / Aso / Black / Laumape – Only 1 one of these guys is likely to start when the canes are healthy. If you have the subs then I’d cash in on the price rise for all these guys
2. Nanai – I wasn’t big on him pre-season because he was so expensive. He scored with pretty much his only touch, fair enough, but there’s better value elsewhere and he’s got people inside him stealing tries (Reiko).
3. Pieter-Steph Du Toit – this is controversial given my Stormers pick further below, but ever since Eztebeth’s been back into the side his productivity iropped. At $515k I just think he’s still too expensive and you’re better off spending the money on Eben.
1. Kerevi, if you spent the money on him it was money well spent as he did not disappoint. In his first game he scored 2 tries and looked dangerous every time he touched the ball. Already priced at $701K
2. Reiko Ioane, the guy is only 19 and looks to be pretty much unstoppable, he’ll only be going up in value and so hold onto him.
3. TJ Perenara, he’s still got it and will be pushing for an All Black start this summer as he battles it out with Aaron Smith.
1. Folau – I’m really not confident about this one, but I figure his years of fantasy service have given him a stay of execution for one more week. Tahs were bad though without Foley, and have a tough run of games.
2. .McKenzie – largely kept in check by the Higlanders, who were mugged by the chiefs. Chiefs showed their counter attacking ability, and it could quite as easily have been McKenzie on the end of a couple of tries. Whilst he’s not kicking
3. Will Skelton – great first game for Skelton, looking lean and playing some serious minutes. But the Tahs were poor and at $304k he’s not cheap. I’m waiting another game to see whether he’s really back to his best with some tough games coming up for the Tahs.
1. Reiko Ioane, basically buy him now before he’s value at $600K-$700K
2. Beauden Barrett, he’s valued at 285K which is a steal considering he averages around 40 points per game, if he starts that is.
3. Naholo, pure quality and a must have as can make something out of nothing and the Highlanders will be dishing out some hidings this year with him at the forefront.
1. Beauden Barrett – Can’t look past the reigning world player of the year at 285k
2. Stormers – They had a great start against the bulls and whilst they’re always strong at home, their opening away games are against the weaker sides. I’m looking at SP Marais, Etzebeth and Kolisi as preferred Stormers to try to get in.
3. Hika Elliot – no idea why he was $112k to start off, but if you didn’t have him day 1 at least get him as a back-up hooker. He’s good around the park and grabs a few tries. Should be good for bye week replacements and favourable match-ups or if you haven’t got a premium hooker.