Each week we’ll post a suggested line-up coming in under or at the $6M team budget. So this team is pickable, it’s not just picking the best players for the week, it’s thinking about the longer term as well as weekly match-ups.
This year organisers have made it a lottery by having a Thursday game, so not even half the teams are out. The below is currently my starting line-up. This is subject to last minute panic changes based on team news in the next 10 hours. I’m also debating whether to stick with Kerevi as it’s left a VERY stretched bench, and me starting Bothma ….. (I clearly don’t take my own advice in my own posts)
- Kepu – nice match-up, played well in the Autumn internationals, and cheap as chips.
- Hames – was great for the Highlanders two years ago, especially in the loose, and could benefit from the chiefs loose style. Also cheap as chips.
- Coles (vc) – fantasy legend.
- Whitelock – solid. Debated whether to take him or Brodie, but he got the nod largely because of that insance try last year.
- De Jager – I’m hoping he rekindles his form at the Bulls from two seasons ago. Should be great value.
- Bothma – cheap, hopefully plays and might go up in price so I can upgrade week 2.
- Michael Hooper – great match-up this week, solid open side in fantasy. I want to see him back to his attacking best.
- A Savea – great match-up, man’s a beast.
- Kerr-Barlow – value pick. Chiefs will find it hard going against the landers. Currently favouring him over Reinach.
- B Barrett – great match-up, pretty good value at his current price considering ABs form.
- J Savea – great match-up, hoping he plays more like he played for the ABs than the hurricanes last year.
- Kerevi – beast. Really stretched the team to get him in. Thinking long and hard about trading down to get better backrow / bench.
- Fekitoa – quiet year last year but still consistently got point. Good value, hoping there’s some upside this year and he gets his attacked edge back.
- McKenzie – was magic last year, need to pick him just in case, although I think week 1 could be tough I’m hoping he’ll get some kicking points.
- Folau (c) – great match-up, great player, safe-ish captain choice. (I’ll no doubt regret those words).
Here’s to some great week 1 rugby.